We’re absolutely roasting here in Texas. I rustled up a strawberry syrup (‘cause I’m tired of those expensive organic strawberries getting moldy before we eat them!).
- Fine mesh strainer
- 1 cup strawberries hulled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar (play with this, you might like more or less)
- A stove & small pot, der!
- In a small pot, cover strawberries with water. Let simmer for about 15 minutes (the water will be bright red and strawberries will be dull and lookin’ sad).
- Strain the juice from the strawberries through a fine mesh strainer and discard the strawberries.
- Wipe out the pan, return juice, and add your sugar.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. The syrup will thicken as it cools, so don’t worry if it’s runny when you pour it into your container.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.
I thought I’d use this in a cocktail, but so far I’ve only used it in Top Chico!
The sad strawberry mush that’s left went into my compost, but I did wonder if it could be used in some baking, a smoothie or something else.